Pages

10.31.2009

Female Monsters Series 1



My final print for the etching assignment in Printmaking. This is part of what I hope will be an ongoing series of female monsters.

The first is a pananggalan, a Malaysian monster that detaches its head at night and drinks the blood of children and pregnant women. More info can be found here.

From here I decided to continue with a motif of heads surrounded by undulating, twisted tubes of some sort.

The second is Medusa, the Gorgon from Greek mythology that was killed by Perseus. Her hair was snakes and her eyes turned victims to stone.

The third is a Japanese yokai known as a Rokurokubi, a woman whose neck stretches at night so she can play tricks on drunk men and fools. I tried to replicate the look of a tradition ukiyo-e print.

All are copper etchings. I used Aquatint on all three, and softground on the latter two.

References:
Penangalan
Yokai

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails